Wednesday, February 22, 2006

a little playblasting does an animator good

So I've been working on a little piece to practice quadruped animation. It's in very early stages right now, just barely working out breakdowns and such. There was a discussion a while ago about which works better for blocking an animation, splines vs. linear. Well... I use "stepped." I find it's the most like traditional animation and gives you the most control, as opposed to having the computer interpolate it all funky.

A friend of mine who used to work at EA always blocked everything out using stepped keys, and at first I was hesitant to try it myself (because I was a lousy animator back then and liked having Maya in-between for me) but I grew to like it more and more.

Not that using stepped keys makes me a great animator. :P But I figure, learn from the pros, right? Next step: finally learning to use FK! I find myself tied down with IK and I think it hurts my animation, especially with things like arms and tails.

Oh yeah, the quadruped thing. You can check it out here!

Basically the wolf is prowling and spots a squirrel in the foreground (squirrel not yet started). Oh, and ignore that music there (it's from Howl's Moving Castle, BTW). For some reason the .wmv creator I have HAS to have an audio track to work right.

1 comment:

Garrett Shikuma said...

Ooo, very nice Erica. Yeah I was reluctant too to do stepped keys when starting an animation. Its the impatient part of me that wants to hurry and see things moving. But, like you, I find it simplifies things so I can concentrate on the poses and spacing first, very much like hand drawn animation.

Great wolf! Cant wait to see it progress...