Thursday, August 14, 2008

You should have seen it



I was driving back to work after picking up my wedding dress from David's Bridal, and saw the most amazing sunset taking place... I knew I had to go watch it. I wanted my camera so badly right then, it was spectacular - misty pinks and purples in the mountains, a bright orange glow where the sun was sinking behind them, brilliant yellows and whites in the clouds, and the clouds, my God, no words to describe how awesome they were. Why did I leave my camera at home?!

As soon as I got to the parking lot I scrambled out of the car, grabbed my DS and ran out of the garage - luckily EA is positioned right near the coast, so when I stood overlooking Lincoln Blvd I had a great view!

It's times like this when I realize just how very mortal and inadequate we are; as I stood there trying to capture the sunset on that tiny touchscreen I knew I had no hope of really portraying what I saw. Honestly I don't know how some people manage to paint sunsets so well, the light is constantly changing, the colors blend together and the clouds metamorphose into different shapes. How can you freeze one moment in time when the moments are so fleeting?

After a few frustrating minutes I decided that while I couldn't immortalize the sunset through my limited means, at least I could experience it. If I couldn't share it with others, at least I could share a moment between me, the sky and the creator. There was something neat about "painting" on my DS while the sky was painting itself with its own palette of brilliant hues. I felt as though I was watching a true master at work, and I was but a lowly apprentice just starting my journey.

Oh the wonders of the internet! I managed to find a couple people who took some snaps of last night's sunset on Flickr. This guys was in Venice Beach, however, so his view was marred by all the palm trees. Too bad for him :P Still, you can kind of see the range of colors and the cloud formations:

http://flickr.com/photos/77392960@N00/2761568607/
http://flickr.com/photos/77392960@N00/2762326802/

This guy got more of the pinks and purples:

http://flickr.com/photos/jt3_11/2762046178/

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful Erica!

Rebecca Perez Stodolny said...

Hi Erica, I'm sorry to hear about the layoffs at EA. But sometimes when something looks like a horrible situation it turns out being the best.

It makes me feel great that I can lend a little inspiration your way.

~reb

David Kantrowitz said...

Wow I haven't checked out your blog in a while and I'm digging what I've found! Great stuff!

Andrew Chan said...

Hey Erica! It's been a while!! =) It's cool to see u still posting up artwork ^^ The pink abd purples in the sky are gorgeous!!

Are u getting married soon? Just read that u picked up ur wedding dress!! Congrats!! =D

Andrew Chan said...

oh ya! i just downloaded the Colours program this morning and i started sketching on my DS too!! man it's SO FUN!!!!!!! it's like a mini laptop! i'll start bringing my DS everywhere just like my sketcbook!

Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff said...

Hey! I'm the guy that got more of the pinks and purples! I also apparently don't proofread my blog comments very well! I don't know why I'm using so many exclamation marks. Anyhow I just wanted to say thank you for referencing my photo on Flickr. I just noticed the reference in my Flickr stats. Nice blog by the way. I used to fancy myself a bit of an artist but I stopped drawing several years back for some reason. Your work is really good. Anyhow, thanks again!