Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Getty Sketches!

Whew, finally some more stuff to post! Alina and I went to the Getty on Sunday to check out some Bernini sculptures. I was completely blown away by how much detail he was able to carve into the marble; I mean, he had 5-o'clock shadows on faces, lace and buttons and embroidery on clothes... it was amazing. There were a LOT of people there; we had to kind of push our way around to find good spots to sketch from. But it was so nice being able to get out and draw on location! I can't even remember the last time I did that... Anyway here's the result:



I love this guy's hair, hehe!  It took a long time to draw because of the complex shapes and the sheer amount of hair, but I think it was worth it. :)
King Louie XIV... Yeah.  Stately and regal, you'd expect a perfectly timed breeze to come along any second and tousle that flowing hair.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!! THese drawings are great!! Hey!! Did you get the photo of Cinnamon the goat, I sent you via the phone?! U have to visit her!! soo cute ... she is all grow up and fat!! But her color and marking is still the same!!

bsleven said...

These are wonderful! The second one down is so nice.

: )

Andrew Chan said...

these sketches are very solid! they have a very 3d feel like a statue =)

Unknown said...

YOu have been TAG!! LOL

Check my blog for the TAG rule. LOL

David Kantrowitz said...

These are great! I too have forgotten how nice it is to sketch on location. And I'm a fan of the etching-like shading. Good stuff!