Tuesday, March 24, 2009

13 Unique Wonders

I thought I'd make a birthday card for my grandma, and this is how it turned out:



My grandparents are big fans of Mah-Jongg, and often host games at their house. The hand I put on the birthday card is one of the highest scoring hands you can get in the game, due to the difficulty of drawing the right tiles. My grandparents actually have pictures of their lucky hands in photo albums to show off to other Mah-Jongg players. Hey, I'm impressed! :)

This was the first time I tried "inking" the outlines in Flash. I've seen some other artists get very nice results from changing lines into fills to adjust the shape of the outlines... but I got lazy and just left them as lines :P Overall I was pretty happy with the control I had over the shape of the lines, even though it probably ended up taking about twice as long as it would have taken had I inked them freehand in Photoshop.

I keep telling myself that someday I'll learn how to render! Y'know, light sources and textures and all that jazz. I guess I get too impatient and want my illustrations to just be finished already. Maybe that's the animator in me wanting to move on to the next drawing...

6 comments:

Andrew Chan said...

Hey Erica!! Been a while! I was checking your blog frequently cuz I was expecting an update sooner or later hehe ^^

Your illustration is very sweet!!! I like it alot. =)

I'm still very new to unwrapping so I haven't heard of pelting but I'm going to look into it because I want to find an easy way to unwrap..

I use maya 2009 and Unfold UVs. (not the interactive unfold thing)

I have a few friends who graduated last year.. One of them was showing me a program called Right Hemisphere DeepUV. It seem like it was super easy to do.

Andrew Chan said...

Hope this kinda helps lol!

It would be easier if I did a demonstration but I'm not sure how to screen capture what I do.

Hopefully things aren't too busy with u lately!! I recently mailed out my demoreel to Pixar and Dreamworks for their internship opportunities! I wonder if I'll ever get contacted back.. ><

Michelle said...

Wow! Amazing dragon! It looks fantastic Erica!

Michelle said...

Hey Erica,
Regarding converting lines to fills and the extra points, sometimes I work with them to try to attain thick and thin. It depends on what you want. I've also deleted them using the pen/minus tool too. :)

Unknown said...

Such a good drawing, this turned out great.

Sarah Sheikh said...

This. Is. Awesome. Also love that your grandparents have pictures of their lucky hands to show off with. So cute!