Monday, May 11, 2009

Frogs!

Every once in a while I do a little sculpting with Sculpey polymer clay, just for fun! This latest project was a gift for my sister's birthday, very much in the style of Tim Cotteril's bronze frog sculptures (which I can't afford :P)

Here's a couple pics, sorry the first one is kind of dark:




He's got an inner skeleton made of tin foil and 1/8" armature wire to add stability and help it bake faster. The metallic sheen was created with a mix of red and yellow Daler Rowney Pearlescent Liquid Acrylic Inks, with black enamel for the eyes and legs, and gold spray paint for the toes. For the spots I also used black enamel but quickly dabbed up most of the paint with a paper towel to create a faux patina look. Coated the whole thing with some Sculpey glaze for a nice shine.

I think he looks pretty happy hanging out in the backyard :)

BTW, "Santa Rocks" is on hold as a side project came up which offered me a chance to do some 2D animation :D It won't be anything spectacular but it does get me drawing again! I'm excited to haul out the Wacom and *gasp* even a pencil and sketchpad!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!! This looks so REAL!! AWESOME!! U ROCK!! I want one too!! Can we exchange arts?!! Say you pick any of my paintings and sketches (but my stuffs isn't as cool though *sigh*) ... in exchange for a cute little froggy!! LOL


BTW, I think ASIFA accept all form of payment!

Sarah Sheikh said...

I don't know what's cooler - the overall look of this guy, his dynamic pose, or the fact his skeleton is made of tin foil. :D

Andrew Chan said...

Hey Erica,

Sorry for the sluggish reply. Why aren't you surprised? I'm not that good >_< I did hear back from Pixar! I passed the interview and made it to the final round.. but unfortunately, it ended there.. =( I had this feeling I wouldn't get in since I know that some schools offer 3-4 years of 3d, while my program offers an 8 month course. I was at a big disadvantage with technical knowledge.. I did the best I could though!

It was great to have the opportunity to be selected by them and to make it so far in the hiring process!

I've been super busy as of lately to try to find a job. It doesn't seem easy to land the first one! I'm trying to get some sort of modeling job at the moment. A few days ago I was at a bar with a friend and the person at the wood next to me just happened to be an Ex-disney Director! We talked for a bit and he introduced my friends and I to a few supervisors that may be able to help us out!

Your frog sculpture looks fantastic by the way!! What a great present for your sister! And it's cool that you're getting into drawing again.. hehe =)

As for my short film, it's something I'm done on side with a team of recent graduates, it's going to be at least a year before it's done.

Reason why it's going to take at least a year.. I'm trying to do alot of crazy stuff to push the team to the limit!

I'm thinking about not sticking to traditional animation pipeline methods with facial rigging. I know it's very common to use Blend Shapes but I want to try something new but I'm not sure if the animators will like this. I want to use Face Robot, or The Face Machine. I'm not sure if u've heard of either but I have a feeling this will be the next generation rigging system. It cuts production costs by soooo much since you don't have to create hundreds of blend shapes. You can rig a face with way more facial control in 10 minutes!

I'll keep you posted with the film if you'd like!

My email is AndrewChan1985@gmail.com.

Anonymous said...

ERICA, GREAT BLOG AND GREAT PLATOFORM. I LOVED THE ANIMATION CONCEPTS. SORRY YOU GUYS WEREN'T PROPERLY TERRIFIED BY "BREAKDOWN." OH WELL. KEITH

vaultingksy@gmail.com

bathmate said...

That’s looks so nice your posting.
Everything looks good in your posting.
That will be necessary for all. Thanks for your posting.
Bathmate