Tuesday, June 12, 2012

30-Day Drawing Challenge: Day 2


Day 2 is "favorite animal." I had a little trouble deciding between the Okapi and a funky bird called the Hoatzin.  They're both fascinating creatures!  The Hoatzin chicks actually have claws on their wings and remind me of Archaeopteryx, which is freakin' cool.  I'd love to travel to South America and see them hanging out on the riverbanks.

The Okapi are just as strange and wonderful - with those awesome stripes on their hindquarters, they look like a cross between a zebra and a horse.  But they are actually most closely related to the giraffe, which you can see from the shape of their head and that long tongue.

I went with my traditional fallback of sketchbook and ballpoint pen for these.  Of all the tools I've tried when going on location to sketch, the ballpoint pen seems the most useful to me. They don't need sharpening, you can get light or heavy marks with pressure, the ink is permanent so it doesn't smear on the pages when you're done, and they're cheap so if you lose one out of your backpack or pocket, it's no big deal.  I suppose they're not very "professional," but I like them.

No comments: