Thursday, June 14, 2012

30-Day Drawing Challenge: Day 4


Day 4 and we're on to "Favorite Place." The choice was easy for me, but picking my favorite part of Disneyland is almost impossible!  So many amazing things to do and see.  I think what I love the most is discovering all the little details that the casual visitor completely misses.  For example, the Evil Queen who occasionally peeks out from behind her curtains, surveying Fantasyland. Even more ominous at night time. :)

I pulled out my pastel pencils for this experiment on black paper.  I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to using this medium.  I love looking at concept art books and seeing all the beautiful pastel artwork.  I know I'll never be as good as them, since I focus the majority of my creativity on animation.  Still, it's fun to play around with.

I am so lucky to have a husband who shares my love of the "Happiest Place On Earth."  For us that title is especially true, since he proposed to me on the ride right across from the Queen's lookout, Peter Pan!

Got black pastel all over my hands while making those window beams.  I love art :D

1 comment:

Andrew Chan said...

Hey Erica! It's been a while! This is sweet that you're doing all this artwork and sculptors since I last visited!

In regards to the iPad, it's nice! It's perfect for what my purposes but I use it for many more things than just drawing. The drawings you saw were drawn with an app called Paper, but I also have sketchbook pro which I use for longer drawings like this,

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/535836_712858975014_35996346_n.jpg

In the hands of a more talented artist they'd be able to do way better work! As a lifedrawing tool it can be hard to draw on such a small screen, and maybe using the digital stylus might be weird since it's a thick rubber-like nib instead of a fine point like a wacom tablet stylus. Maybe you could try using a friends' iPad to test it out before you purchase one? =)