Thursday, June 14, 2012

30-Day Drawing Challenge: Day 3


Day 3: Favorite Food -
My mom's side of the family came to the U.S. after WWII; prior to the Japanese occupation they lived in Hong Kong.  Before that my ancestors came from Macau, which was a Portuguese colony with Chinese inhabitants.  We have mostly Portuguese genes, but culturally feel closer to our Chinese roots.

Because of that, dim sum is a big family tradition; we go out for holidays, birthdays, whatever. When we were little, my sister, my cousin Jas and I would giggle at the funny Cantonese names for each dish that our parents and grandparents would use to order. Instead of "char siu bao," we would say "char siu POW!!"  Ha gow became "hot cow."

Wacom and Photoshop for this one.  I also pulled out my handy dandy special effects reference guide, "Elemental Magic" by Joseph Gilland.  SOOOOO much good stuff in there.  I flipped to the chapter on liquids for ideas on how to do the soy sauce bursting out of Kikko Man's head.

1 comment:

Andrew Chan said...

I didn't know your family was originally from asia! That's funny you would saw char siu pow, and hot cow LOL =P